Safety Policy Overview
- A written safety policy is printed and distributed to all members.
- Each member is required to pass a swim test before joining the team.
- A binder holding emergency and contact information for each team member is kept in the boathouse, and is taken to each out of town race/event.
- A team roster with phone numbers is posted in the boathouse.
- A list of cell phone numbers for all team members’ families is distributed.
- Each student member is required to view a rowing safety video annually.
- Individual waivers are signed and returned for all events when required.
- There is always at least one launch motorboat that goes out with the rowing boats. The boat carries the Coach and driver, and a megaphone, several bags with life vests, and bailing kit.
- Each rower and coxswain wears a specialized Personal Flotation Device (PFD) during every on-water practice.
- Walkie-talkies are carried and used by the Coach, each coxswain, and the adult boathouse monitor to communicate during on-water practices.
- Each boat’s coxswain carries a walkie-talkie.
- There is at least one adult monitor in the boathouse during practices at all times.
- The combined water and air temperature must be above 100 before boats can go on the water.
- A map of Greenwood Lake where students practice is posted in the boathouse to show safe and unsafe areas.
Please see below for a printable copy of the full Safety Policy: